I got this recipe while I was browsing for some new "try-out" dish for friends gathering event. Though I dont prefer to follow any new recipe for gatherings/potlucks and make guests as guinea pigs , I was pretty sure on this recipe that it would never go wrong. Like I thought, this one was perfect for a winter afternoon and received lots of credits.
No of Servings - 4
- Eggplant - 5-6
- Onions - 1
- Garlic - 2-3
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind water - Lemon size tamarind soaked in water
- Black Ground Pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Red chillies - 2
- Dry roast the "To grind" ingredients and grind it to coarse paste
- Put "+" in egg plant and stuff it with this grinded paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add garlic, onions and tumeric powder. Saute onions for few mts with salt.
- Add the stuffed egg plants and fry in simmer till the eggplants shrink.
- Add the remaining paste and 1.5 cups of water. Cover the lid and let it cook for 3-4 mts
- When the egg plants are half cooked, add the concentrated tamarind extract
- Simmer down and let it cook till the mixture thickens and the oil seperates out from the water. It would take 20-25 mts approximately
- Remove the kuzhambu from the flame
- Heat oil in another pan and add tempering items
- Add the tempering to the kuzhambu.